Monday, December 13, 2010

Blast from the Past

This evening I was looking through some slides of some of my old textile work from the 1990's and I came across these 2 slides. They are a little bit of Western Australian History courtesy of my Dad's camera lens in the 1960's
 For those who've never seen it and those who just can't place it. This is the Barracks Arch at the top of St Georges Terrace in Perth,  in all of it's pre-freeway glory. Only the arch itself now remains as the rest of the building was demolished in 1966 to make way for the Mitchell Freeway.

I've always loved these 2 slides, even as a child I was fascinated with them and always a little disappointed that so much this lovely old building was destroyed in order to build the freeway.The arch has always looked a little lonely standing there on it's own....

No comments:

Post a Comment